These caramel coconut energy bites are reminiscent of your favorite Girl Scout Cookie. They’re packed with healthy ingredients like Natural Delights Medjool Dates, seeds, and toasted coconut.
If I’m being fully transparent, my creativity in the kitchen ebbs and flows.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a foodie through and through, and cooking is still one of my favorite pastimes. But over the past few months, my creativity in the kitchen has been fleeting.
At times, my cooking creativity is completely non-existent and I’m happier whipping up my standard brussels sprouts and salmon or trying a recipe from a cookbook. Other days, my creativity goes into overdrive, and I come up with awesome goodies. Today you’re in luck, my friends. The creative juices came back to help me create my current favorite snack of the moment.
While I was never a Girl Scout, I always had a deep appreciation for the cookies. Especially the ones in the purple box. I mean…chocolate, caramel, toasted coconut…what’s not to like? In fact, my best friend in elementary school was a Girl Scout, and one day after school she and I plowed through the stash of cookies she was supposed to have sold. Needless to say, her parents weren’t exactly thrilled when they came home and discovered they had to buy all the cookies we had just eaten.
These days, I opt to pass on that little purple box of goodness but was excited to recreate it with better ingredients. These energy bites definitely fit the bill.
The caramel goodness comes from Natural Delights Medjool Dates. If you haven’t yet used Medjool dates to create your own healthy caramel, you have to give it a try. I love using the pre-pitted variety because they’re ready to toss right into the food processor. Natural Delights Medjool Dates are an amazing source of complex carbohydrates and potassium, making them perfect for a pre or post-workout pick-me-up.
I also added some additional protein powder, chia seeds, and hemp seeds for protein and healthy fats.
Looking back on it, I don’t think my friend and I got much potassium, protein or healthy fat from our cookie raid. 😉
If you’re craving one of those famous cookies, but are looking for something a bit more satisfying, I highly recommend you whip up a batch of these. They are perfect for making at the beginning of the week and snacking on all week long.
Caramel Coconut Energy Bites
- 1 Cup Pitted Natural Delights Medjool Dates (~8 or 9 Dates depending on size)
- 1 Cup Smooth Almond Butter
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut + More for Rolling
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Hemp Seeds
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, heat the coconut flakes until toasted and golden brown. Stir frequently to prevent from burning. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the dates until they are finely chopped and begin to form a paste.
- Add the almond butter, coconut, seeds, protein powder, maple syrup and chocolate chips. Pulse until all ingredients are combined.
- Roll the mixture into balls (I used a cookie dough scoop to measure out ~2 Tablespoons per ball). Roll in toasted coconut, gently pressing so it sticks.
- Drizzle with additional melted chocolate if desired. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- How do you get your creative juices flowing in the kitchen?
- What is your favorite way to use Medjool dates?
- Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Bard Valley Natural Delights. I was compensated and received product. As always, all opinions are my own and I only partner with brands I support and trust. Thank you for supporting The Balanced Berry.[activecampaign form=7]