These Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites are tart, sweet, and the perfect treat to fuel your next workout.
Alright friends, how do we feel about pre-workout snacks? Love them? Hate them? Need them? Personally, I’m all over the map when it comes to pre-workout snacks.
On days where I have my super early workouts, I usually just go for my modified bulletproof coffee as I’m often not hungry first thing in the morning, but want just a little something in my system to get me going.
On days where my workout is a little later in the day (mid-morning or afternoon), I am all about enjoying a little snack to fuel me up for my sweat session. I still don’t like having anything too heavy for working out (because as you guys probably know by now, I love to jump). Usually, I’ll grab a small snack before working out that’s light and easy to digest. My most recent favorite: these chocolate cherry energy bites.
You guys, I am a cherry person through and through. I LOVE cherries, and can add that love to the list of long reasons why I wish it were summer all year round. Fresh cherries for snacking, frozen cherries in smoothies, dried cherries in my salads and energy balls…you name it, I love it.
These bites are my favorite flavor combination because the tartness of the cherries pairs perfectly with the sweet, chewy base of Natural Delights Medjool Dates. The nuts keep everything bound together (I used a combination of Brazil nuts and almonds), and the chocolate just sets it all over the top.
The combination of carbohydrates from the Medjool Dates and cherries and fats and protein from the nuts is perfect for helping you power through tough workouts when you need a little something in your stomach. And for the chocolate? Well, that’s just plain good for the soul.
If you give these energy bites a try, make sure you tag me on Instagram @balancedberry. I love seeing what you guys make!
Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites
- 1 Cup Natural Delights Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 Cup Dried Cherries
- 2 Cups Nuts of Choice (I used 1 Cup Almonds, 1 Cup Brazil Nuts)
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- In a food processor, pulse the dates and cherries until they are chopped into small pieces.
- Add the nuts, vanilla, and salt and process until the nuts are broken down and all ingredients are combined.
- When the ingredients are combined, add the chocolate chips and pulse until just broken down.
- Use a tablespoon to roll the mixture into bites. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Natural Delights Medjool Dates. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that keep The Balanced Berry going.