These crowd-pleasing loaded sweet potato skins are the perfect way to sneak some extra nutrients into your game day spread.
Raise your hand if you’re ready for winter to be over *insert hand raise emoji*
I’m craving spring like it is no one’s business. I’m ready for warm weather, fresh flowers and more daylight.
Since we still have awhile before that time comes, I’m going to try appreciate winter while it is still here by feasting on all of my favorite winter produce. For today’s recipe I’m teaming up with my friends from Whole Foods Market Seattle to continue showing winter produce some love.
Earlier this week, we got up close and personal with the darling of winter produce and Regina George of citrus – grapefruit. Now, we’re getting jiggy with another winter produce all-star – the sweet potato.
I won’t even pretend I know a lot about football. I’m not that good of a liar, even on the internet where everyone lies. I do follow the Seahawks because, hometown buttttt…let’s just not talk about that. I get it NFL, the show must go on.
Since there is football still happening, and sweet potatoes are the star of the show, sweet potato skins needed to happen. Balanced Berry style of course 😉
Instead of making a traditional potato skin, I opted to lighten things up by packing in the veggies and replacing the sour cream with greek yogurt. I also added mashed white beans to increase the protein and satiety factor, while keeping things meat-free so my vegetarian friends could enjoy too.
You down with V.E.G? Yeah you know me….
Pardon my musical outbursts. Although you have probably come to expect them by now.
You will love these sweet potato skins! They’re:
Let me know if you give them a try!
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1.5 Tablespoon Avocado Oil or Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 3 Cups of Baby Spinach
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- ⅓ C Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup White Beans, mashed
- ½ C Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place potatoes on a lined baking sheet and bake until cooked through and soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven when done and allow to cool until they are cool enough to handle. Reduce oven to 350F.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a thin lining of sweet potato inside. Add the flesh to a large bowl and set aside. Drizzle the skins with ½ tablespoon oil, and return to baking sheet. Place back in the oven until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant and shallot is translucent. Add the spinach to the pan and stir until just wilted. Add the spinach to the bowl with the sweet potato flesh.
- Add the mashed beans, greek yogurt, salt and pepper to the potato and spinach mixture. Stir well until all ingredients are combined and potato is mashed.
- Fill each potato skin with equal amounts of the mixture. Top with cheese and return to the oven until cheese is melted and potatoes are warmed through. About 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with green onion. Serve immediately.
- What are some of your favorite ways to prepare sweet potatoes?
- Are you a football fan? Or are you in it for the snacks (like me ;)…no shame)
This post is in partnership with Whole Foods Market Seattle. Thank you for supporting The Balanced Berry.