These superfood-packed quinoa breakfast bowls are creamy, satisfying and bursting with nutrients. They make an amazing breakfast all year round!
There’s just something special about a meal you can enjoy from a bowl.
I’m a firm believer that pretty much any food is more comforting and satisfying when it is eaten from a bowl. This Superfood Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is no exception.
The first time I ever tried quinoa, nearly five years ago, I tried it in the form of a breakfast bowl. That version had pre-cooked quinoa with dried fruit, mashed banana, cinnamon and honey. I instantly fell in love with the grain and had enjoyed that same preparation of breakfast quinoa ever since. While that version is delicious, recently I had the urge to try something a little different. I wanted a creamier quinoa bowl (the version I mentioned above is a little soupy), and I wanted to step my toppings game up.
My two favorite toppings for this dish just so happen to be antioxidant superstars: goji berries and cacao nibs. Goji berries are a great source of vitamin C, beta-carotene and amino acids. They are slightly sweet and add amazing texture to the breakfast bowl. I also love making on-the-go trail mix with goji berries, shredded coconut, almonds and a few pieces of dark chocolate. YASSSSS.
Cacao nibs are ground up pieces of raw, unprocessed cacao beans (once processed, cacao becomes chocolate/cocoa). Cacao nibs are a good source of iron and magnesium and fiber. Because cacao nibs don’t have any added sugar, they aren’t as sweet like your traditional chocolate pieces. Even without the added sugar cacao nibs are still really tasty and add a fun crunch to the quinoa bowl.
If you’re looking to get some superfood goodness in your life, I have a fun giveaway you might be interested in 😉
Ingredients like goji berries and cacao nibs are fantastic, but they aren’t always available at the regular grocery store. For years now, I have loved ordering specialty ingredients from iHerb.com. iHerb is an online retailer that sells tons of wellness-focused products at affordable prices. They sell everything from vitamins and supplements to natural foods, and have been one of my go-to websites for quite some time. The folks at iHerb were kind enough to sponsor two $50 shopping sprees for two lucky readers. The giveaway will be open until next Monday, February 8, 2016 at midnight PST.
Here are the important deets:
- Winners must create an iHerb account to redeem the $50 credit.
- Shipping will be taken care of for both US and non-US winners. Winners outside of the US are responsible for any additional taxes/duties/brokerage fees levied to them by their Customs Agency and/or Postal Service.
- Also, for any of my non-US folks, please make sure iHerb ships to your country before entering by visiting iHerb.com, adding a product to your shopping cart and clicking the “Country” drop down menu to see if your country is listed.
Now let’s get to cooking some quinoa!
- ½ Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 1½ Cup Coconut Milk, divided (can sub almond milk, but the quinoa will be less creamy)
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Sliced Banana (~1/3 Banana per bowl)
- Goji Berries (~2 Tablespoons per bowl)
- Cacao Nibs (~1 Tablespoon per bowl)
- Blueberries (~1/4 Cup per bowl)
- Place quinoa in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gently toss the quinoa around the pan until the quinoa is slightly toasted - about 30-60 seconds.
- Add one cup of coconut milk to the quinoa and stir. Bring up to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Allow the quinoa to simmer for about 10-12 minutes until it is cooked through and has absorbed the coconut milk.
- When the quinoa has fully cooked, add the remaining ½ cup of coconut milk along with the maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until well combined and bring to a low simmer until quinoa is nice and creamy.
- Divide the quinoa among two bowls and top with sliced banana, blueberries, cacao nibs and goji berries. Serve immediately, or store quinoa in a covered container in the fridge without the toppings for up to three days.
- What are some of your favorite superfoods?
- Are you a fan of having everything out of bowls too?
- What would you order from iHerb?
This post is sponsored by iHerb.com. Thank you for supporting The Balanced Berry. <3
Join the Challenge
A 7-day challenge to inspire you to build confidence and strength by releasing comparison and cultivating a positive relationship with fitness.