You guys, this is maybe the best kale salad I’ve ever had. And that’s saying a lot because I eat a lot of kale salads. Get ready to dive into your new favorite summer salad!
Hello there beautiful people! How was your holiday weekend? Mine was pretty wonderful – I was reunited with several of my friends for a fun bachelorette weekend for our dear friend Carol (who also reads the blog – hey Carol!). We had a blast, but good lord, I’m getting old real quick. I was very grateful for that extra day to recover before diving into the work week. Now I’m feeling the need to get some extra nutrients in my system stat after a celebratory weekend.
So now, kale. And fruit.
Can we talk about something for a minute? I feel super sad when I hear people say they don’t want to eat fruit because it has too many carbs/too much sugar and will make them fat. A few weeks back I was talking to my manager at work, and she mentioned that she was trying to tone up for the summer and was told she shouldn’t eat fruit because it has too many carbs. It made my soul weep a little. Summer’s too short to not eat delicious fruit. In my effort to be non-preachy, I won’t go on a tangent about how eating fruit won’t make you fat. Instead, I’ll just eat all the fruit on behalf of the “fruit makes you fat” believers. More for meeeeeee mwahaha.
As much as I’d love to, I actually can’t take full credit for this recipe. A few weeks back, my uncle brought a similar salad to a family BBQ and I thought I died and went to heaven. 1. Because it was delicious and 2. Because someone in my family finally ate something that was totally my style. It had to be recreated ASAP.
With the tangy dressing, ripe fruit and fresh kale this salad is everything. Bring it to your next BBQ, and I promise it will be a hit!
- 1 Bunch of Kale Finely Chopped (~ 4-5 Cups; I used Lacinato, but Curly Kale also works)
- 1 Cup Strawberries, Sliced
- 1 Cup Blackberries
- 1 Diced Peach
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- ½ Cup Rasperries
- ½ Cup Diced Mango
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Cranberries
- ¼ Cup Almonds
- ¼ Cup Walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (sub agave if vegan)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper until combined. Slowly stream in olive oil while whisking until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale and dressing. Massage the dressing into the kale until coated and place in the fridge to marinate for a few minutes (this is a great time to chop the fruit).
- Before serving, add the diced fruit, dried cranberries and nuts to the kale and toss until evenly combined.
This would also work well in mason jars! Just put the dressing on the bottom, then add the kale, then the fruit and lastly top with nuts. Boom.
Like this recipe? Tweet it out!
Talk to me:
What is your favorite way to eat kale?
If you could only eat one fruit for the rest of the season, what would it be?
Join the Challenge
A 7-day challenge to inspire you to build confidence and strength by releasing comparison and cultivating a positive relationship with fitness.