We are well into August, which means now is the time to take any of those last-minute summer getaways. I didn’t take any major trips this summer, but will be taking a few work-related trips over the next month. With that, I wanted to share a few of my favorite tips for staying healthy while traveling!
- Establish a temporary routine. Any time I travel, I try to establish a loose version of my normal routine. While at home I’m a huge fan of morning workouts, and while I travel I try my best to stick to AM workouts – but I usually don’t do it as early in the morning 😉 I find keeping a loose version of my normal routine helps my body adjust to any time changes, and still gives me time to squeeze in workouts.
- Stay hydrated. This one is huge, especially with the warm summer temperatures. It is so easy to get dehydrated while flying which can compromise the immune system, lead to fatigue and cause us to make less than healthy food choices. Get those oz’s in!
- Be prepared. Pack a few cute workout outfits, comfortable shoes and headphones for a little extra motivation to get a few workouts in. I also like bringing a set of resistance bands in my suitcase on trips. They take up little to no space, and are an easy way to get in a good workout even if you don’t have access to a gym. Another one of my favorite things to do is pack a bag of healthy snacks in case I’m stuck somewhere that doesn’t have many healthy options. Some of my favorites include bars (I like making my own, Kind Bars and Lara Bars), packs of nuts, a few servings or packets of protein powder, natural fruit leather, etc.
- Do your research. Are there any fitness clubs or studios in the area you could check out? Look up a few places in the area to try. Even better if you participate in a service like ClassPass where you can hop into local classes What about local restaurants? Check out a few menus to look for healthy options in the area!
- Get rest. Between time changes, flights or even just long car rides during a road trip, it’s easy to let your sleep schedule out of wack. Try your best to get adequate rest to keep your immune system strong and help your body adjust to any time changes.
Bonus: I firmly believe the quality of what we put on our bodies is just as important as what we put in our bodies. Whole Foods Market sent me their awesome Travel Like A Pro weekender stuffed with TSA-friendly body care products that are essential for any trip (pictured below). I’m absolutely loving these products and want to give these to two lucky readers over on my Instagram. Head to Insta to enter! Here are the goods…
- Juice Beauty Nutrient Moisturizer – hydrating plant oils and calming botanicals for all skin types
- Acure Repairing Shampoo + Conditioner – I have super wild, dry hair and this duo has tamed my hair leaving it smooth and manageable. No easy feat!
- Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap – I LOVE this brand, and this body wash smells amazing.
- Tom’s of Maine Simply White Toothpaste – no crazy bleaching chemicals…yes please.
- Mineral Fusion Nail Polish – I’m a sucker for soft pink polish, and this formaldehyde-free polish is gorgeous.
- ChicoBag Travel Zip – a reusable eco-friendly bag that is airplane-friendly. This is been a staple in my gym bag as well!
Talk to me:
- What are your favorite healthy travel tips?
- Any essential products you like to travel with?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Whole Foods Market. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting The Balanced Berry <3