This Protein Pumpkin Coffee Cake is a healthy treat that will satisfy your pumpkin spice craving.
Every year as summer comes to an end, I have a deep inner conflict when it comes to the topic of pumpkin. As a bit of context, I am as basic as it gets. When the temperatures cool down, I live for boots, sweaters, pumpkin spice, and all that other basic Pinterest shit. However, I struggle with the awkward early September timeframe.
While I love many aspects of Fall, I am a Summer girl to my core. Give me all of the sunshine, fresh produce, and summer dresses. Forever ever. So while Fall has its redeeming qualities, when it comes to actually saying goodbye to Summer (and goodbye to the sun for a solid 9+ months – thanks, Seattle), I have a hard time letting go.
When the pumpkin spice madness starts on September 1 I get huffy. IT’S NOT FALL YET. However, now that the first day of Fall has come and gone, I am off my seasonal huffy high horse. I am also back to thoroughly enjoying all things pumpkin and have busted out a sweater or two. The first order of business now that it is officially pumpkin spice season – this amazing Protein Pumpkin Coffee Cake.
Packed with whole grains, pumpkin puree, plant-based protein powder, and a crumble topping made out of my special secret ingredient, Kretschmer Wheat Germ, this coffee cake packs a nutritional punch that will upgrade your breakfast from basic to all that and a bag of chips. Like how I brought that one back? Okay, moving on…
I love making this coffee cake as part of my weekly meal prep. I recommend cutting up the squares, wrapping them up and keeping them in the freezer for portion control. They make an incredible on-the-go breakfast or snack and are packed with amazing ingredients you can feel good about eating. As sad as I am that Summer is over, this coffee cake is quickly helping me cope.
- 1 ½ Cup Oat Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Kretschmer Wheat Germ
- 2 Scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder (I used Perfect Fit)
- ½ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil, Melted, and Cooled
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Kretschmer Wheat Germ
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil, Solid, and Firm
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, Kretschmer Wheat Germ, protein powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, melted coconut oil and almond milk. Whisk together until eggs are beaten and ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and ingredients, and mix until thoroughly combined. A thick batter should form. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread until the batter forms an even layer.
- In a small bowl, combine the Kretschmer Wheat Germ, coconut sugar, solid coconut oil and cinnamon for the topping. Use a fork to cut in the pieces of coconut until combined. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the coffee cake batter, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Store in a sealed container in the fridge or freeze.
- What is your favorite way to enjoy pumpkin?
- Were you anxiously awaiting Fall, or did you want Summer to last just a little longer?
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Kretschmer Wheat Germ. All opinions are my own, and I only recommend products I use and trust. Thank you for supporting brands that keep The Balanced Berry going. <3